As an employer, you may be able to identify signs that your employees are stressed or overworked. You may even be familiar with the signs of anxiety and depression or other mental health conditions. But what about signs of an addiction?
Sometimes an addiction can remain hidden for quite a while, however, this typically only leads to further problems. Let’s learn some of the signs of an addiction that you may see in an employee in the workplace so that you can start a helpful conversation and point them in the direction of help today.
1. Unexplained absences or tardiness to work
2. Changes in mood including increased irritability for no apparent reason
3. Withdrawal from coworkers
4. Accidents or injuries that are hard to explain
5. Poor personal hygiene
6. Taking frequent breaks to “go to the bathroom” or “run an errand”
7. Physical symptoms such as bloodshot eyes, tremors, clammy hands
8. Sudden weight loss or weight gain
9. Difficulty completing tasks they once excelled in
10. Asking for paycheck advancement or to borrow money from coworkers
If you notice some of these signs in one of your employees, it may be time to check in with them and inquire if they are in need of resources to help. For additional resources and to feel equipped to begin the conversation about mental health concerns and addiction in your organization, contact Solace Asia at 012.885.4686 today.