You probably know that not all addictions are substance abuse in nature but did you know that one of the most common recent addictions is that of internet addiction. This type of addiction typically takes the form of an addiction to a specific internet activity such as gaming, gambling, shopping, pornography, etc. There are some common signs of an internet addiction that you may identify in a loved one, employee, or even yourself.
Signs of an Internet Addiction You May Identify in Yourself
- Always thinking about and/or talking about internet activity
- Spending more time online than you intend to
- Feeling a need to use the internet more often to get the same level of satisfaction
- Trying to “cut back” on internet use unsuccessfully
- Feeling moody or irritable when you don’t use the internet
- Using the internet as a way to escape your own problems
Signs of an Internet Addiction You May Identify in Others
- Physical changes such as weight loss/gain, vision trouble, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Excessive fatigue (from staying up late on the internet)
- Emotional changes such as unexplained irritability, moodiness, anxiety and depression
- New patterns of dishonesty or making strange excuses for mistakes
- Increased social withdrawal or isolation
The good news is that there is help for internet addictions. If you notice signs of an internet addiction in yourself or someone close to you, contact Solace Asia at 012.885.4686 for professional help today.